Saturday, June 8, 2013

Can you add too much water to the Crock Pot for Pot Roast?

crock pot cover
 on ... Unusual Antique Ceramic Tomato Toothpaste Jar Crock Pot Lid | eBay
crock pot cover image



MiSS M0RGA


I've been cooking a Pot Roast in the crock pot for about 3.5hr now. My mother always adds enough water to cover the meat, the recipe I'm using just calls for 1cup of water. But one Cup of water barely covered half the meat so i added about a half cup more & the meat still isn't covered but a little more then half of the meat is covered..

I was just wondering if you could add too much water?
AND how do i know when the meat is done cooking?



Answer
It is possible to add too much water. When the meat cooks it releases it's own juices and can cause the liquid to overflow. I've done it before. I only add one cup of water-actually I use campbells french onion soup, no extra water. You want just enough to keep the meat and veggies from sticking to the bottom. You will be able to tell when the meat is done when it easily falls apart. Pot roasts before cooked are really a tough cut of meat. So you really want to cook it long enough for it to easily fall apart. It usually takes about 6-8 hours on high in my crock pot, depending on how large the roast is.



No comments:

Post a Comment